"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- Albus Dumbledore

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary B: Aesop (Winter)

Here are my favorite stories below from the Aesop for Children, illustrated by Milo Winter Unit.

The Fox and the Leopard: I really liked this story because it intrigued me that a fox and a leopard could get along! I would have never put the two animals together! I could picture the fox telling the leopard that looks are not everything, then laughing and walking off. I could also picture the leopard staring at the fox after he made his joke and not knowing what to say. Those who brag about what they do or brag about their looks are often insecure about themselves.

The Cat, the Cock, and the Young Mouse: This story really stood out to me because of the cat. I could see the whole story playing out in my head. I could also see the mouse being completely frightened by a rooster yelling at him. I mean that would be one of the most frightening things ever to an animal that is smaller than a rooster! I've always thought that birds are very weird creatures. I could picture the cat grinning at the mouse just like you would always see the Cheshire Cat smiling in "Alice in Wonderland". I could also picture the mouse telling his mom the whole story and she wanting to interrupt and tell him that the cat preys on them, but letting her son tell his story.

The Cat and the Birds:  I really liked this story because I could picture a cat becoming very thin. Sadly enough, one of my own cats back home had not been eating and she had to be hospitalized. She is doing well now, but she had to have a feeding tube put in. :( I could also picture the cat becoming mischievous and willing to do whatever it took to get some food. It oddly reminded me of Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas because the cat was willing to dress up to get some food. The Grinch wanted to dress up as Santa and steal everything holiday related from the citizens of Whoville. I could also picture the birds knowing better and slamming their door on the cat, and the cat being completely speechless.

The Frog and the Mouse: I immediately was drawn into this story by the illustration. I could picture the frog being mean and having a smirk on his face because he drowned the mouse. I could also picture the frog being completely shocked when the hawk pulled him out of the water and into the air. I could also picture the frog struggling to break free from the hawk's grasp but being unable to do so. I guess this story relates a lot to the saying "whatever goes around comes around".

The Bull and the Goat: I could immediately picture a bull being frightened by a lion and then entering a cave with a goat thinking he could prey on him just because he had just run into a lion. Those of us who go through difficult times in our lives often will come out stronger in the end. Just because we may seem weak at the time, doesn't necessarily mean anything. People haven't seen what we've had to go through in the past to get to this point.

The Bat and the Weasels:  This story actually surprised me as far as Aesop fables go because this bat was trying to be something that he wasn't in the end. I guess a bat is really a hybrid between a mouse and a bird, which I have never actually thought about until now. I could picture the bat trying to say anything to spare his life, and the weasels falling for it. I guess if you are part something part another, you should totally use it to your advantage! I am sure that if the bat had been a mouse or a bird instead he would've been dead!

The Fox and the Monkey: I could totally picture all the animals having fun as the monkey was dancing except for the fox. There always has to be at least one person who doesn't approve of their superior. I could picture the fox leading the monkey to the trap and the monkey getting stuck. As much as trapping the monkey was the wrong thing to do, you have to be well-rounded in order to rule over others. Too bad the other animals were not around to see the fox trick the monkey or they may have chosen someone else besides the fox to be the new king.

The Lark and Her Young Ones: The illustration is what originally drew me into this story. I could picture the young larks overhearing the farmer and then repeating the news to their mom. I could picture them all trying to tell her the same thing at once and she would get frustrated and only would ask if one of them could speak. I could see the young larks telling their mom that the farmer said that he would harvest the wheat in the morning and the mom telling them they must leave the nest. I could picture all of the young lark trying to spread their wings and practice flying so they would be prepared for the next day.



The Wolf, the Kid, and the Goat: I could picture the mother goat going off into town and warning the kid not to let anyone in without the secret password. I could see the wolf grinning after he heard the secret password and plotting how he was going to trick the kid into letting him in. However, when the wolf got up to the door, I could also picture the kid being suspicious that it wasn't someone he knew. My mom told me to never answer the door for strangers while I was growing up, and I still don't to this day.  It is always better to check something twice just to be sure than accepting that something is okay the first time around. 

The Wolves and the Sheep: I could picture the wolves thinking of a plan of how to trick the sheep. I could also picture the sheep second guessing themselves and then saying okay. We must be very careful in dealing with people that we are not that familiar with. We do not know their true intentions and that is the scary part. I could totally picture one of the sheep looking at the other sheep when the wolves were about to eat them and saying, "I told you this wasn't a good idea!"  



No comments:

Post a Comment