"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- Albus Dumbledore

Thursday, January 21, 2016

My brief exploration of the UnTextbook

The first unit that grabbed my attention was Homer's Iliad. I took Latin for four years (two in middle school and two in high school). We mainly focused on Roman mythology and reading stories written by ancient Romans, but we did not spend much time reading any Greek stories. I have heard great things about Homer's Iliad and The Odyssey by many people, and I can't wait to read them both for myself! Does The Odyssey ever make any of you think of the children's TV series "Wishbone"? That was one of my favorite TV shows growing up! I wish I could post a picture here, but copyright laws are preventing me in doing so. Instead, here is a picture of a puppy that kind of looks like Wishbone.


("Jack Russell Terrier Puppy" Source: Wikimedia Commons)


The second unit that grabbed my attention was Alice in Wonderland. I don't really remember watching the movie much during my childhood, so I am really looking forward to reading it myself! The only version of Alice in Wonderland I remember clearly is Tim Burton's rendition, and if you've watched any of his other movies you know how weird they are! I would also really like to read Through the Looking-Glass if I have time. I think that would be a great follow-up unit to read!


("Alice in Wonderland scene" from Tim Burton's rendition of the Disney classic. Source: Flickr)


The last unit that stood out to me was the Ballads of Robin Hood. I grew up watching the Disney classic, but I vaguely remember it. I kind of remember watching it but being confused when I was younger. Now that I am older, I think this would be a great read!

Most of the units I have chosen so far were made into classic Disney movies. I'm hoping I'll gain a new perspective having read them. I love to try to read books that were then turned into movies (ex. The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, etc.).  


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Caitlin, that's great about having done Latin high school! You will have a lot of insight into both of the Homeric epics because of that. You might even want to read some Aesop's fables in Latin! I used to teach Latin at OU way way way back before I started teaching online, and I still have a Latin blog if you are interested... it has Latin fables and proverbs and also Latin LOLCats ha ha: Bestiaria Latina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Latin blog is so much fun! I plan on exploring it more and using your Latin LOLcats for some of the images for my posts later in the semester. I actually think I already used one of them for my Growth Mindset post! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete