"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- Albus Dumbledore

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary B: Hans Christian Andersen

Little Mermaid - Part 1: I thought it was interesting to hear that each one of the sisters had a different perspective and experience of the world above. I think the youngest sister's experience in the world above will be very unique compared to her sisters'. I bet she will fall in love with a prince just like in Disney's version. I bet she will do whatever it takes to stay in the world above just so she can be close to him.

Little Mermaid - Part 2: I thought it was so sad that the prince never found out that the mermaid was the one who saved him. I hate that the mermaid went into a deep depression over a boy. That was a little silly. I'm really glad that she ended up telling her sisters about the prince, and I'm also happy that one of their friends was able to tell the youngest mermaid where he lived.

Little Mermaid - Part 3: I'm glad that the youngest mermaid's grandmother was able to give her some insight on how she could become a human. If I were to write a Storytelling post this week over this, I would write a story about how someone was willing to face their fears in order to accomplish their dreams and goals some day.


("The Little Mermaid" by Hans Christian Andersen (1872), illustration by W. Heath Robinson)

Little Mermaid - Part 4: I thought this was a rather frightening scene to picture the sea witch's home. It all seemed so evil. I hate that the witch said that she would have to cut off the mermaid's tongue in order to create this potion so she would be able to walk. I haven't seen the Disney movie in a long time, but I think that the mermaid was turned back into her original form if she could not get the prince to love her instead of dying. 

Little Mermaid - Part 5: This part of the story was really depressing because I realized more and more how dumb she was for being willing to give up her own life just to have the possibility of marrying the prince. I wish she could tell him that she was the one who saved him, and then he might realize that he loves her more than anything.

Little Mermaid - Part 6: I knew the ending of this story was going to be much unlike the familiar Disney version. I had a feeling that the mermaid would end up dying instead of getting married to the prince. I feel so sorry for her, but at the same time I don't feel that bad for her. She knew that there was a great possibility of never being able to get married to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment