"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- Albus Dumbledore

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Week 5 Reading Diary A: Santal Folklore

Ledha and the Leopard: I thought it was so sweet that Ledha decided to go back and take care of the buffalo after he got married. I feel like when most people get married, they don't really care to return to the ways of their past and they just end up starting a new life instead. I thought it was great that Ledha built a new palace in the jungle (I hoped he didn't hurt any of the animals while he built it) so he could have a place to be near the buffalo. That would be a great Storytelling assignment for this week. I could tell the same story but add in the part that when he was building his palace, he ended up harming and threatening some of the animals' habitats, and they tried to kick him out of the jungle.

The Monkey and the Girl: This story was very sad to read, I wish that the girl hadn't killed herself when she saw that her father and the other men in the village killed the monkey. This story really reminded me of Romeo and Juliet. That would be a great Storytelling post! I could tell this story like a modern Romeo and Juliet and relate it back to this story.

Ramai and the Animals: This story reminded me of The Charmed Ring that I read last week, except that the father killed the rest of his son's animals and that his wife and the palace were never stolen. I like that this story was much shorter than The Charmed Ring, but it basically told the same story. I understand that the Ramai turned down the Raja's gifts. He did not want to become famous and wanted to blend in with the rest of the public.

The Raibar and the Leopard: I thought it was nice that both the Raibar and the leopard ended up being nice to one another. I thought it was interesting that the leopard decided to return a favor for the Raibar. I think a nice Storytelling post for this week would be to take this story but add in that the Raibar was able to successfully proceed with the marriage of the two families, but ran into some trouble at first and asked the leopard for some help.

The Raja's Dream: This story reminded me of the Disney Channel TV show, Wizards of Waverly Place, because the three sons were fighting to be the heir to the throne. In Wizards of Waverly Place, Alex, Justin, and Max were fighting to all become the family wizard. I think that would be a good Storytelling post for this week because most of my classmates have probably heard of Wizards of Waverly place. Only one of the sons becomes the heir to the throne, and only one of the siblings becomes the family wizard. This could be a fun story!


(The cast of the TV show, Wizards of Waverly Place. Source: YouTube)

The Tiger Cub and the Calf: This story made me very sad that the tigress decided to eat her friend. I liked that her cub disowned her and ran off with the calf to the jungle. I think a good Storytelling post for this week would be to tell the same story but tell what happened when the cub and the calf went to the jungle. Did they ever get married? Did they just stay friends? Did the tigress ever find them? Those would be some great questions to answer in my story this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment