"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- Albus Dumbledore

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Week 10 Reading Diary B: Tejas Legends

Why Hummingbirds Drink Only Dew: I thought it was interesting that the indians have an answer for why the hummingbird only drinks nectar from flowers. I thought it was foolish of the hummingbird to assume that the heron could not fly in the dark as well. I like that the hummingbird has forever kept to his word to not drink from any bodies of water. I think that shows that the hummingbird has strength.


("Hummingbird". Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Old Quanah's Gift: I thought it was sad that Quanah could no longer fight with his tribe, but I thought it was incredible that he spent his whole life making this special blanket. I thought it was very kind of the tribe to want to give it to Quanah, and it showed that Quanah still cared a lot for his people when he gave them the fire wheel flower. 

Maidens Who Broke a Drought: I thought it was disturbing that the medicine man said the only way to end the drought was for the maidens to be eaten by the chief of the snakes. It made me cringe reading about them lining up and jumping off the side of the cliff. I thought it was nice for the goddess to turn them into flowers instead of letting them die. I am glad that the chief of the snakes was afraid of this because I didn't think he sounded that nice to begin with. 

The Cottonwood Remembers: I thought it was rude that the owl decided to attack the pigeon because he thought that they were talking to him. I thought it was rude for him to kill the pigeon. The pigeon didn't do anything to him and it was just a misunderstanding! I thought it was fair for the Great Spirit to make the owl blind during the day as his punishment. I also thought it was fair for the Great Spirit to make the loon only able to swim at night alone. Those who laugh and make fun of others are often suffering themselves. 

Why the Dog's Ears Flop: I thought it was mean that the wolves decided to pick on the dog since they used to be friends. I also thought it was rude of the indians to beat the dog to the point where he became weak and ashamed. I wished the indians would have given the dog a chance to tell them what had really happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment